Sunday, April 28, 2013

I got gored for good!

Gored for Good was today in Providence, to support Amos House. I ran the 2 miles on the Rhody Mama's team with some of my fellow Rhody Bloggers. OK... maybe I didn't run the entire thing.

Here we are before the start of the race. Derby girls (aka the bulls) behind us, ready to splash our clean white shirts with red paint.

I love this photo so much I had to zoom in when posting it. Heather and I checking our phones before the race. Because bloggers are always in touch with what is going on! Even if you are about to be chased by derby girls on skates!

After the derby girls cleared out of the corral, the boys and their friends stepped in to pretend to be bulls. Well, everyone except the Bunny Bee. He likes to do his own thing sometimes.

Once the race started, we were all 'hit' almost immediately with paint. And it didn't stop.

I have to give a big giant shout out to Kam who didn't let me quit. This girl right here runs half marathons. For fun! She watched me fall behind (lets be honest, after like a minute and a half of running) and stopped and waited for me. I told her to go ahead, but she stuck with me and did the walk/run/walk/run thing, encouraging me the whole time. Love her for that!

We picked up beads and posed with the bull at the Siesta station (which was the halfway mark). And somehow, I made it to the end. Al was right there with the boys snapping photos.

Elizabeth got this shot as Kam and I finished. I laughed so hard when I saw the photo. It looks like I am giving Kam the side eye. I swear I was just trying to breathe and not fall over.

Once I could breathe again? Photos with Jen and my awesome friend Laura who took her kids to watch the race. Anyone notice how not so gored - or even out of breath - Jen looks? I on the other hand look like a crime scene happened to me.

And my boys. It was really cool to have them there telling me I did good. And that they didn't have to wait too long for me. (They guess.)

P.S. - I did finish that 2 mile run/walk in just over 20 minutes so I guess I didn't do that bad. We just won't talk about how I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch after lunch. What? Who? I don't know.
Looking forward to doing this again next year! Not only was it so much fun, but it raised some money for a really great cause (which I even got to talk to my kids about).
Watch out for the Rhody Mama's team next year! I have a feeling we will be triple in size and a fundraising force to be reckoned with!


  1. Everyone else in the crowd is looking around and we're on our phones. Bloggers have to update! I had so much fun and I fell asleep when I got home too.